Monday, February 7, 2011

Show me the jobs...

It's becoming increasingly apparent that unless you're a skilled person or some sort of office support worker, finding journalism or PR work in Perth is tricky business. Three agencies have now returned my CV citing 'we're sorry but we don't have any jobs to match your skill set, please try again later'. The local papers 'don't hire freelancers' and most office jobs are about schmoozing with the higher ranking officials and keeping the stakeholders happy. Urgh.

Come over as a plumber, sparkie, builder, engineer or secretary (basically anything that compliments housing or mining) and the world's your oyster, but the creative industry's are appearing a little harder to crack - possibly because there are fewer of them and the companies that do exist are already full to the brim with happy, hard-working people.

How to overcome this dilemma? Well to be honest, I'm not sure. I'm a mum who realistically needs flexible working hours, but I'm also a worker at heart who adores writing, photography, churning out press releases and working for a worthy cause. What I absolutely don't love is being stuck in an office filing papers and waiting for the clock to tick that little bit faster so I can go to lunch/sneak out for a coffee/go home. Shame really as there are TONS of part-time admin roles that I could go for...but not to the detriment of my soul...

I need to start bringing some dollars in. What would you do??????

No comments: