Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lamingtons


The Lamington has existed for years as a signature Australian sponge and is devoured in antipodean households everywhere, especially on very important days like Australia Day. Rather ironically I feel it embodies the Aussie spirit – confident, brash and a little bit loud on the outside but soft and lovely on the inside.
Little B and I sat down to a few Lamington’s yesterday arvo and I can confirm they go beautifully with a little dash of cream on the side. They’re also rather lovely dipped in jam and make a great accompaniment to afternoon tea. These ones were the shop bought variety but I am planning a little bake-fest this weekend so the kids and I can master this Aussie treat with flair. Since they are D’s favourite, it would be rude not too. They shall be better than the Borough market offering, by god they shall!
If anyone fancies giving them a go...

No comments: