Friday, January 14, 2011

Working up a sweat

If there's one thing I've learnt about myself of late it's that I need exercise. Without it I become rubbish to be around, I start nagging the kids and my husband is often found in the other room where he doesn't have to listen to my incessant whining. Sadly opportunities to get the ol' heart rate up have been a little few and far between as we settle into our new life, so with this arvo to myself, I donned the workout gear and headed down to Hyde Park for a quick jog around the park.

It's a great place to run - you can go as fast/slow as you like and nobody gives a s**t. You even get the speed walkers in head to toe lycra with the jutting hips and the 'don't get in my way or I'll squish you' looks and nobody sniggers at them (apart from me, a bit...). So I think I've found a new way to keep fit - physically and mentally - that doesn't involve machines and expensive gym memberships. Hurrah!

I notice a similar trait in the boy who is at his best when he's active and doing something he loves. He's been at football academy this week and has become even more dedicated to fulfilling his goal of becoming the next Beckham. The coach said 'he has something special' and has invited him to be part of the 9-10 year old team he coaches on Saturdays. Go go go Mister Fin! So from mid feb he'll be doing soccer once, maybe twice a week and is booked for WA state try-outs at the end of the month. Pushy parent? Moi? Of course not....

C'MON FIN GET IT IN THE NET!!!!!

No comments: